- Almost too handsome for masculinity
- Tall and slender, with long legs
- Dark of hair and eye
- Moves with a dancer's grace and a lean, sinewy strength
- Hands are long, elegant yet strong
- GH(Ch. 38,42,46,Glossary)
- DR(Ch. 10,13,27,30,40,46,Glossary)
- SR(Ch. 1,47,Glossary)
- Half-brother of Gawyn and Elayne
- Called "Galad"
- Son of Tigraine and Taringail Damodred
- Always does the right thing
- Sign is a winged silver sword, point down
- Joins the Whitecloaks
- Becomes Lord Captain Commander(and a blademaster)after killing Eamon Valda(KOD Prologue
At the beginning of Knife of Dreams, Galad is riding through Amadicia with Trom, Jaret Byar and Dain Bornhald, to Eamon Valda's headquarters. After Valda confirms that a Trial Beneath The Light may be invoked, Galad challenges Valda himself for the assault and murder of Morgase Trakand. Valda accepts the challenge. Galad is hard put to defeat Valda, but he manages to convince his opponent that he is tiring, and then finishes him off with a slash to the chest.
After the battle, Trom offers to discharge him and let him escape, but Galad says he should remain, that the Whitecloaks need someone to help them find an ally against the Seanchan, even the Aes Sedai if necessary. Trom says he is their new Lord Captain Commander, and convinces him that he deserves the rank. Kashgar presents him with Valda's Heron-mark Blade.