Using isolated mining towns in the American West or Australian Outback or entire countries dependent on mining such the oil rich rentier states in the Middle East as probable inspiration, some science fiction writers have described Mining Planets. The several Star Trek series seem especially prone to the phenomenon.
- Ardana - "The Cloud Minders," episode of Star Trek: The Original Series (Episode 74, Season 3, 2-28-1969)
- Capella 4 - "Friday's Child," Star Trek: The Original Series Episode 32, Season 2, 12-1-1967.
- Cancri-9 (a.k.a. Steel World) - B.V. Larson's novel Steel World (Undying Mercenaries)
- Daedelus - “Rule of Law,” The Outer Limits Episode 718, Season 7
- Dregocia - “The Summit,” The Outer Limits Episode 513, Season 5, 5-21-1999
- Elysium - John Scalzi's novel Old Man's War, Pp. 194-195
- Dytallix B a.k.a. Mira V - "Conspiracy," Star Trek: The Next Generation Epsideo 24, Season 1, 5-9-1988
- Janus 6 (Horta homeworld) - "The Devil in the Dark," Star Trek: The Original Series Episode 26, Season 1, 3-9-1967; Diane Duane's Spock's World (Star Trek Novel), brief refernce as the Horta homeworld, p. 26
- Metz - Chris Moriarty's novel Spin State
- Mira V a.k.a. Dytallix B - "Conspiracy," Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode 24, Season 1, 5-9-1988
- Nkllon - Star Wars universe
- Ta - “The Space Pirates,” Doctor Who Season 6, Story Number 49, (6 episodes) 3-8-1969 to 4-12-1969 (location for the Issigri Mining Co.)
- Thedus - Alien universe
- Triton 4 - Screamers 1995 film
- Wayland (moon orbiting Gas Giant Regin) - Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic League universe
- Zhu Rong (MX-37b) - Violet Addison and David Smith's short story "The Flight of the Salamander" in David Conyers et al.'s collection Extreme Planets
- Unnamed planet in "Twiki is Missing," Buck Rogers in the 25th Century 1-31-1980
- Unnamed (Iron Mass colony) planet orbiting a pulsar in Chris Roberson's novel Further: Beyond the Threshold
Other extrasolar mining locationsEdit
- Unnamed asteroidin "The Dark Side of the Sun," Space: Above and Beyond (SE-104), which aired on 10-8-1995.